The following are notes from Melanie Drouin’s Net Gain 2016 presentation: “The New Age of Advertising Research Measurement”. This post has had limited editing and hence there will be typos.
Advertising measurement changing dramatically. People having a hard time figuring out where to spend their money.
- Digital media keeps growing & changing – over the past 3 years total digital media time spent has grown 53%.
- There’s a lot of data out there – In August P&G announced it will move away from ads on FB that target specific consumers.
- Feeling that maybe digital is providing diminishing returns
Methodology: panel-based advertising measurement and optimization.
Adding new tools and models to our existing methods:
Track ad exposure:
- Print and tv still big channels – large trust in these channels
- Out of home – testing geo-targeting
- Cookies for mobile and desktop
- In-app via advertising ID protocols
Survey exposed and unexposed audiences – aren’t talking about the ads though – looking at impact on brand equity and things like that.
Analyze campaign effectiveness – can determine which media buy alone or combined had the best lift.
Tracking ad exposure is now about people and their devices.
Media combinations – the model can tell you which combination of types of media used help to improve various types of elements regarding brand (awareness, brand equity etc.)